ON THE 12TH DAY OF PEATMAS, THE PLANTATION GAVE TO ME…. 12 WAYS CONSUMER IS KING!
Do 1 or 2, or be a Super Consumer and Do them All !!
- Learn how to identify which of your products have palm oil in them (see Day 10 for some hints).
- Go through the products in your pantry, shower rack, and fridge. Can you identify the products with palm oil?
- Not sure if your product has palm oil in it? Write a letter to the company telling them that as a consumer, you have a right to know which ingredients are in your products. Tell them that if there is palm oil in their product, you want it clearly labeled.
- Shop for brands that have committed to and/or are using sustainable palm oil.
- Did you find a product you like that has palm oil in it? Ask the store manager why your favorite product doesn’t have sustainable palm oil in it.
- Check out the Palm Oil Scorecard. How do the companies and brands you know and love match up? Could they be doing more?
- Is a brand you know doing something positive to make sure their palm oil is sustainable? Write in to tell them that:”It’s important to me that you make sure the palm oil in your foods is sustainable!” Let them know you are happy that they are being proactive and doing something about it.
- Learn more about the peatlands and tropical forests that are destroyed to grow palm oil plantations, so that you can tell others why they should care and what the impact of their products have on the Earth!
Does one of your favorite brands say that they’re doing something, but set their goal for having 100% sustainable palm oil for 2015? Hold them to this commitment! Make sure you let them know that as their loyal consumer, you expect them to follow through with their promises!
- You may be an informed consumer when it comes to palm oil. Give yourself a pat on the back. But what about your family, friends, classmates and coworkers? There’s power in knowledge and numbers!
- What are YOU doing, that makes you a responsible and sustainable consumer, that we missed? Have you started a group to raise awareness, done a campaign, adopted an orangutan? Every little bit counts and we want to know what you are doing to demand more sustainable palm oil.
- Stay involved. Keep reading! Check back at www.forestjustice.org